What is an apprenticeship for adults?
Adult apprenticeship offers adults an opportunity to finalise, complete, or acquire vocational training through the apprenticeship scheme. Depending on the profession, it leads to the technician's diploma (Diplôme de technicien - DT), the vocational apptitude diploma (Diplôme d’aptitude professionnelle - DAP) or the vocational capacity certificate (Certificat de Capacité professionnelle - CCP).
Adult apprenticeship can be carried out for all trades and professions defined by the Grand-ducal regulation. The training takes place within a company and in a technical college with regard to school-based training.
In order to enroll in adult apprenticeship, you must:
- be at least 18 years old;
- have been out of the initial education scheme for at least 12 months;
- not have been on an initial apprenticeship contract for at least 12 months;
- be affiliated to the Joint Social Security Centre (Centre Commun de la Sécurité Sociale -CCSS) for at least 12 months (continuous or otherwise) for at least 16 hours per week.
Length of apprenticeship
Like the initial apprenticeship, adult apprenticeship lasts for 3 years.
Exemptions may be granted under certain conditions by the competent advisory committee. Under no circumstances, the duration of the apprenticeship can be less than 1 year.
Amount of compensation
The employer pays you the legal or conventional apprenticeship allowance plus a supplementary allowance up to the minimum social wage for unskilled workers.
Prepare your application. It must consist of:
- your identity card, proof of registration, or valid passport;
- your school reports and your diplomas and certificates;
- the equivalence of your school reports, diplomas and certificates issued by the Ministry of National Education, Children and Youth;
- your CV.
Once your file is complete, make an appointment with the ADEM's career guidance service (ADEM-OP) between 2nd of May and 15th of September.
Bring your file personally to ADEM-OP. It will then be submitted to the advisory committee deciding about the access and admission of candidates.
You will be notified by mail of the decision of the advisory committee. In the event of a positive decision, go to ADEM-OP, which will provide you with all the necessary documents to find a company authorised to train apprentices and to draw up an apprenticeship contract.
Your coaching is ensured by:
- the company with which your apprenticeship contract is concluded;
- apprenticeship counselors from various professional chambers;
- the teaching and socio-educational staff of the technical secondary schools or the national center for ongoing vocational training.
In addition, ADEM-OP accompanies you, informs you, and guides you with regard to:
- the creation and management of your application for admission to apprenticeship;
- the presentation of your case to the advisory committee;
- your assignment, certificates of registration for technical colleges, notification to the competent professional chambers;
- handling claims for reimbursement and transferring these to the Ministry of Labour, Employment and Social and Solidarity Economy or to the Ministry of National Education, Children and Youth.